Ready to Lose Your Glasses? Ten suggestions for picking a LASIK or Laser Vision Correction CenterThe world of ophthalmology is one of the fastest developing fields of medicine. Never before have numerous scientific advancements and new methods emerged in such a brief time period. LASIK surgical treatment, which utilizes an excimer laser to reshape the cornea, offers millions of people the opportunity to lower or remove their need for contacts or glasses .
Television and radio ads are filled with fantastic stories about LASIK surgical treatment as the quick and pain-free way to correct vision, however stories are likewise appearing about individuals for whom it was less than effective. Prior to you decide to go under the beam, exactly what can you do to assist ensure that you will be happy with your results?
The essential to safe surgical treatment in any field of medicine is an informed client. Take a little time and research the LASIK center you are thinking about for laser eye surgical treatment. Dr. Robert K. Maloney, voted by his peers as one of America's Top Ten vision correction surgeons in a national study by Ophthalmology Times, uses the following standards to quality care and treatment.
1. Find a doctor by getting referrals from other physicians or from clients who have actually had LASIK or laser vision correction.
Don't be tricked by fancy ads about a specific laser. Select the physician, not the laser.
3. Select a physician who has done at least 5,000 LASIK or eye laser surgical treatments. What a physician does not understand can harm you.
Ask for information on your physician's LASIK eye surgery complication rates. If your doctor will not tell you, find another one.
Ask what procedures are taken to prevent infection. Firmly insist that your eye is completely sanitized, and firmly insist that the surgical instruments be sanitized before your eye laser surgery to get rid of the risk of transmission of HIV or liver disease.
6. Beware of ads pressing "low expense" LASIK surgical treatment. Discount surgical treatment is as great as a discount rate parachute. The prospective cost savings are not worth the Extra resources risk of receiving less than professional care!
Anticipate to see very well after LASIK, however do not expect to see completely. As with any eye laser surgery, outcomes are as individual as each patient. Be careful of any physician who assures 20/20 vision.
If you feel like you're getting a tough sell, you probably are. You're not purchasing a vehicle; this is genuine LASIK eye surgery.
9. If your level of nearsightedness is more than -11 or so, implantable lenses will most likely use better vision than LASIK. Consider waiting till the new lenses are available. Ask your doctor about them and other current advances.
10. While you examine, don't forget the benefits: for most individuals, a lifetime of bad vision can be treated in 5 minutes. LASIK eye surgery has enhanced the vision of millions of people around the globe.